Western Illinois Men's Soccer: Leathernecks Play To A 0-0 Draw In Final Exhibition


MACOMB, Ill. — The Western Illinois Fighting Leatherneck men’s soccer program wrapped up its final exhibition match with a 0-0 draw against Quincy.

“I thought we looked good in the first half because we had the ball and were able to create some chances,” said Director of Soccer Dr. Eric Johnson. “We’re fortunate that we were able to carry that over in the second half and that we were good enough to survive. That’s good, but not good enough to survive a lot of matches, so we will take the video and show where they [Quincy] were playing through their back line.”

Due to weather conditions, the match was moved from John MacKenzie Alumni Field to the Northwest Field behind Brophy Hall.

The Leathernecks were able to get multiple scoring opportunities in the 30th and 36th minute. First, Alejandro Pacheco‘s corner kick found Armel Kouassi for a header that went high, followed by a shot by Pacheco that was saved by the Quincy keeper.

Quincy almost had a goal in the 59th minute off back-to-back corner kicks that resulted in a header that went wide. Later on, in the 81st minute, goalkeeper Tim Trilk‘s back-to-back saves kept the game even. After Quincy had four straight quick shots inside the crowded box, Trilk was there for both stops to keep the game tied at 0-0.

From there, Kouassi and Mitchell Moynihan tried to give the Leathernecks a late goal with under 10 minutes to spare, but both shots could not find the back of the net.

The Leathernecks were led by Kouassi’s five shots and two on goal, while Paul Kirdorf and Alejandro Pachecoboth had a shot on goal in the match. In net, Tim Trilk totaled seven saves.

With the regular season concluded, Western Illinois now shifts its focus to an Aug. 25 matchup at Milwaukee to open the season; the first of a six-game road slate to open the 2017 campaign.

Spread the word

Trending Now

Featured Sports Podcasts

Choose a Category

Continue Reading