GALESBURG — In a marathon matchup of teams riding five-game winning streaks, 17th-ranked Southeastern (Iowa) escaped with a 5-2 victory in 13 innings over the Carl Sandburg College baseball team on Wednesday at the William “Bill” Hungate Baseball/Softball Complex.
Southeastern 5, Sandburg 2 (13 innings)
Southeastern 101 000 000 000 3 — 5 10 3
Sandburg 100 000 010 000 0 — 2 7 2
W: McLaughlin, 1.1 IP, 3 K, 0 BB
L: Hannan, 1 IP, 2 K, 2 BB
- The Blackhawks’ Austin Martin plated the go-ahead run with a base hit to center in the 13th for a 3-2 lead. Two batters later, Connor Pasko hit a two-run triple to account for the final score.
- Sandburg center fielder Payton Hartbank (Mattoon, Ill./Mattoon) tied the game at 2-2 in the bottom of the eighth with a two-out single to center on an 0-2 pitch that brought home Austin Traub (Coal Valley, Ill./Moline).
- The Chargers (7-4) put the winning run in scoring position in the 10th and 12th but were unable to come up with a game-winning hit.
Sandburg Star of the Game
Left-hander Jack Gray (Burlington, Iowa/Notre Dame) came on in the ninth and allowed just one hit over four scoreless innings in relief. Gray fanned five and walked three.
Top Chargers Hitters
- Hartbank 3 for 6, double, run, RBI, stolen base
- Cacey O’Brien (Moline, Ill./Moline) 2 for 5
The Chargers host Kankakee in a doubleheader at noon Sunday.