Thanks for subscribing! Please check your email for further instructions.
New Knox County LIHEAP Administer Named
SPRINGFIELD – The Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity’s Office of Community Assistance is pleased to announce that the Knox County Health Department will be the new provider of Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) benefits in Knox County. The Knox County Health Department will begin taking applications on October 9, 2018 for seniors and people with disabilities. The facility is located at 1361 West Fremont Street, Galesburg, IL.
Beginning October 1, 2018, individuals can call (309) 344-2224 to schedule an appointment. Appointments are required for Knox County. Applications will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis until funding is exhausted. Please refer to www.knoxcountyhealth.org for additional application sites as they become available within Knox County.
Customers must bring all required documentation when applying for assistance including:
· Proof of gross income from all household members for the 30-day income period beginning with the date of the application.
· A copy of their current heat and electric bills issued within the last 30 days (if they pay for their energy directly).
· A copy of their rental agreement (if they are renting) showing that utilities are included, the monthly rental amount and landlord contact information.
· Proof of Social Security numbers for all household members.
· Proof that their household received Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); Aid to the Aged, Blind, or Disabled (AABD); or other benefits, such as Medical Eligibility or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), if receiving assistance from the Illinois Department of Human Services.
Disconnected households and families with children ages 5 or under (includes all children who are not yet 6 years old, that is, up to 5 years and 364 days) can begin applying for LIHEAP assistance beginning November 1, 2018. Individuals not eligible for priority enrollment can apply beginning December 1, 2018.
LIHEAP is a state and federally funded energy assistance program for low-income families, in which heating bill payments are made on behalf of households. Applications are processed through a network of 35 local administering agencies around the state. A single-person household can qualify with a monthly income of up to $1,518; a two-person household up to $2,058; a family of three can earn up to $2,598; and a family of four can earn up to $3,138. Benefits are paid directly to energy vendors on behalf of eligible households. The exception is households whose heating costs are included in their rent.
For a complete listing of LIHEAP’s local administering agencies and additional information about the program, go to www.liheapIllinois.com or call the LIHEAP toll-free hotline at 1-877-411-WARM (9276).
***Report Courtesy of the State of Illinois***